What is the Fifth Chakra?
“The beginning was the word. And the word was AUM. When the word was heard it began to echo” (MC Yogi, 2014)
The Fifth Chakra is primarily located at the throat and is known as Vissuddha, which translates to “purification”. Certainly in order to go deep into the power of the fifth chakra a certain level of purification is required, as this is the centre where your thoughts and words lead to your actions, and your experience in this lifetime.
The Gospel of John in the Bible states, “In the beginning was the word,” demonstrating the incredible force, and catalyst the word can be. So in order to utilise this force for your highest self, and in turn your world, a level of purification is required. Don Miguel Ruiz knows the importance of purification, and impeccability when it comes to the word, as it is the the basis of his first agreement in his superb book “The Four Agreements”. His first agreement is “Be Impeccable with your Word”:
The first agreement is the most important one and also the most difficult one to honour. It is so important that with just this first agreement you will be able to transcend to the level of existence I call heaven on earth…Through your word you express your creative power. It is through the word that you manifest everything. (Ruiz, 1997, p.27)
Similarly, way back in Ancient Greece Socrates was speaking up the importance of using your words with wisdom. He suggested that before we communicate we pass our words through a three-fold filter:
- Is it true?
- Is it kind/good?
- Is it necessary/useful?
Your desires, choices, decisions and your word is influenced and influences your Fifth Chakra.
To enliven your fifth chakra:
- Practice and awareness of your desires, emotions and feelings without judgement;
- Have an awareness of the feelings behind your words;
- Ask for what you want;
- Say “Thank you” aloud;
- Practice kirtan, chanting and singing;
- Practice diction exercises and tongue twisters;
- Voice your decisions then take decisive action. I’ve heard Abraham Hicks state “You can’t get it wrong and you never get it done.” So why bother worrying about your choices? It’s much worse to be drowning in indecision.
- Don’t justify your choices to anyone! It’s your choice because it’s your choice!
- Express your truth. If you cannot verbalise it make sure you journal it. Get it out!
The Fifth Chakra is the gateway to our higher chakras and to our cosmic powers of alchemy. Word Up!
‘AUM’ 2014, on Mantras, Beats and Meditations, CD, Sounds True, United States of America. Written and performed by MC Yogi
Ruiz, D. (1997). The Four Agreements. United Sate of America: Amber-Allen